The compact construction allows these plates to slide into any backpack or purse as well as the correct carrier vest for the size. Level III Body Armor Plates are effective and easy to use. We recommend ordering two plates — one for the chest and another for the back. Order NIJ III Bulletproof Inserts from Atomic Defense for free shipping and a competitive price.
INDUSTRY LEADING FEATURES
A lightweight build with ergonomic construction. The lightest plate that exceeds NIJ III standards. Not only stopping 7.62, but also 5.56! Making it level III+ by current industry standards.
Our Standalone NIJ level III plates are tested to stop 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm FMJ, lead core and hollow point rifle ammunition from common rifles like the AK-47 and AR-15. The plates also protect against 9mm, 10mm, .45cal, .40cal, .380, .38 Special, and many other calibers.
Our product testers and lab go above and beyond the NIJ requirement for ballistic resistance by firing multiple 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm FMJ, lead core and hollow point rounds as well as 7.62x51mm/.308.
Each plate comes with a QR coded label to its certification sheet. It will show tested ammunition, angles, back-face deformation, distances, and more. Independent Testing Certification
- Stronger Than Steel: Our PEAD™ (Polyethylene) UHMWPE features a molecular strength that is several times stronger than steel. Allowing it to outperform steel, be safer, more reliable, last longer, and weigh less.
- Legal Travel: TSA & airplane safe. Level 3 standalone polyethylene protection (better than IIIA or 3A) that can be used during airline travel too.
- NIJ III Rated: Blocks and stops various sniper, pistol, assault rifles, airgun rounds. Best thing to have in a life or death situation. Two plate purchase is recommended for vests and clothing to cover both front and back areas.
- Better Than IIIA: Stops various AR-15 with 5.56 & AK-47 with 7.62 & more, see description. Military-grade PEAD™ mil-spec plating. Tried and tested to stop multiple fully-automatic rounds from various weapons.
- Ergonomic: Curved to match your body shape. The real ESAPI shooter’s cut and body curve allows accurate shooting and arm movement.
- Low-visibility: Painted for optimal stealth in low-light environments
- Built With: Fire, water and dust-resistant materials.
- WEIGHT (10″x12″): 4 pounds / 1.8 kg
- WEIGHT (11″x14″): 5 pounds / 2.7 kg
- MATERIAL: Military-grade PEAD™ (Polyethylene) UHMWPE
- SIZES: Two sizes – 10x12x0.9 in (25x30x2.3 cm) or 11x14x0.9 in (27x35x2.3 cm)
- COMPLIES WITH: NIJ level III (3) under standard 0101.06
In the Box
- NIJ level III bulletproof plate (Equal to commercial III+ plates)
Frequently Asked Questions About Bulletproof Clothing
HOW ARE THESE INSERT PANELS DIFFERENT FROM THE COMPETITION?
Wear our Level III insert panels for nearly indestructible armor with support from MIL-SPEC polyethylene plating and an all-weather coating. Many Level III plates and vests feature ceramic alone, this premium plate uses only highly compressed PE. This enables us to construct lightweight and comfortable armor that performs above NIJ requirements.
We take our Level III bulletproof plates a step beyond other options in the category by constructing them with only expensive PE material. As a result, these Level III plates are stronger and lighter than bulletproof or steel — an excellent combination of protection and mobility.
IS THIS A PEAD LEVEL 3 (III) STANDALONE PLATE OR ICW PLATE?
Level 3 Standalone. This means that it can stop up to 5.56×45 FMJ, 9mm, .44 Magnum,7.62×39 FMJ, etc. by itself and without extra armor needing to be placed behind it.
WHY PEAD ARMOR PLATES?
PEAD UHMWPE (PE) is among the most effective materials for bulletproof plates. When a bullet makes contact with the plastic coating, the resulting friction causes it to melt. Heat softens the plate, enabling it to absorb the bullet’s energy and disperse it around the plate. The surface cools and hardens again to contain the bullet. The absorption and cooling processes limit the area that the bullet can affect, allowing a PEAD vest or plate to withstand near countless and multiple hits before breaking.
WHAT IS NIJ LEVEL III BODY ARMOR?
The NIJ III Bulletproof Inserts comply with the National Institute of Justice’s (NIJ) standard 0101.06 for body armor. Under this standard, body armor must keep backface deformation to 44mm or less. There are five categories, and Level III is the third highest and the first to resist and stop the most common rifle bullets.
A Level III armor plate can stop a 7.62×51 mm NATO FMJ, steel-jacketed bullet at speeds between 2,850 and 2,910 fps. Vests undergo testing in a conditioned state, rather than brand-new. Atomic Defense tests Level III plates to ensure they withstand multiple 7.62×51 mm NATO FMJ steel-jacketed hits, exceeding NIJ requirements to better protect you.
Level III armor offers safety against serious threats, making it a pertinent defense tool. Various common rifles fire 7.62×51 mm NATO FMJ rounds. Choose Level III ballistic plates for your carrier vest or personal bag for military-level bullet resistance when you need it.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NIJ LEVEL III AND III+ PLATES?
The NIJ standard 0101.06 for the ballistic resistance of body armor categorizes body armor into five categories: IIA, II, IIIA, III, and IV. The big difference between NIJ level III and III+ plates is that the “III+” terminology isn’t a recognized level by the NIJ. Most company’s level III armor will only stop 7.62×39 FMJ. However, all Atomic Defense level III armor will stop 7.62×39 FMJ AND 5.56×45 FMJ and JHP.
Bought this for my 11 year old daughters backpack. Wish this wasn’t the kind of world we live in. It ended up being to heavy for her with her books and supplies so returned. Nice product overall however, maybe better for an older stronger child. She is only 80lbs.
Light weight, and comfortable fit. Quick shipping. Highly recommend.
Feels like I can take on an army with these plates. I bought them based on the other reviews alone. Thanks team, will come back for more.
5.56, .300, 45. 40, 9mm, 22L and a few others were all stopped by the same plate. This will do good for my car carry vest.
One of the best I’ve tested. Ended up buying 3 extra.
Very well made.